Friday, June 28, 2019

Key West Nostalgia



Back in the late 1970s, my sister Susan and I visited our parents (Mary and Nelson) down in Stuart, Florida, where they had moved 3 years ago.  During that time, we took a road trip to Key West, Florida, and visited all the major sights there - Duval Street, the Hemingway House, the Pier House Hotel, and we also took a sunset boat cruise of the harbor, where I took the above photograph of everyone checking out the Mary Renee. I am not exactly sure what the Mary Renee, out of Charleston, South Carolina, was doing docked in Key West.  I googled it and found - nothing!  The internet is fallible after all.  In any case, we got back on shore in time to join the crowd at the Mallory Street Dock applauding as the sun set over the water.  That was a custom the crowd did every night, and I understand that they still do that up to this day.  Got to get back there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment