Friday, June 21, 2019

The Summer Solstice!



Today is the Summer Solstice, the first day of summer and the longest day of the year.  At Stonehenge, modern day Druids, Pagans and New Agers celebrate this day with gusto (and are even allowed onto the grounds of this 4,500 year old site).  And celebrate they do - they open the grounds at 7:00 P.M. on June 20th, and allow people to remain there until 8:00 A.M. the next morning. However, since I could not make it to Stonehenge this year, I instead decided to simply feature a self portrait of me at sunset on the Summer Solstice, looking solefully out the window of my condo at the University of Denver campus, where I worked as the Finance Manager of the Bookstore for almost 30 years, until we were outsourced (and I am no longer bitter about that. After all, do I look bitter?).  And I have to add that I did search the newspapers and the internet for Summer Solstice celebrations here in Denver that I might be able to photograph, but could not find a single one.  Evidently the Druid and Pagan population here is pretty thin - probably too many hipsters in Denver for their liking.  In any case, Happy Summer Solstice Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment