Monday, June 24, 2019

Celebrating Stuart's Birthday!







This coming Friday is my friend Stuart's birthday, and so yesterday afternoon we celebrated this momentous event in advance by first taking a brisk walk at Crown Hill Park in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, followed by dinner and beer at Old Chicago. Crown Hill Park is a very pleasant nature area, with a lake in the center and a view of the mountains to the west.  The day turned out to be pretty sunny and much warmer than yesterday, which was chilly and rainy.  And in the mountains, near Steamboat Springs, they had 2 feet of snow, quite unusual for the start of summer.  In any case, we headed to Old Chicago afterwards, where I took the photograph on the left of Stuart. As we ate, we watched the Colorado Rockies drop their third straight game to the Los Angeles Dodgers, losing all three games thanks to walk off home runs in the bottom of the 9th inning. That has got to be some kind of record.





On our walk, by the way, we ran across the bird seen in the photograph on the right, which has distinctive red markings on it's flanks.  I was not sure what kind of bird it was - that was never my strong suit, growing up on the south side of Chicago, where birds were simply birds.  I checked the internet afterwards, and it appears to be a red-winged blackbird, which I suspect is not very exotic.  I was hoping it would be something like a dodo bird, which I imagine is rarer, but you can't have everything.  Happy Birthday Stuart!

No comments:

Post a Comment