Monday, June 17, 2019

The Highlands Street Fair Is Going To The Dogs





This past Saturday was the 37th annual Highlands Street Fair, and I have to say that  it has gone to the dogs.  I have never seen so many dogs at a festival before, and there were a significant number of booths catering to the needs of today's hipster dogs, too.  I try to attend this fair every year.  It is a very large festival, extending over 4 blocks down 32nd Street, the main drag of the Highlands neighborhood. This is one of Denver's oldest neighborhoods, and was once an independent town before Denver swallowed it up in the late 1800s.




When I first moved to Denver, it was promoted as the "affordable alternative to Washington Park," which is one of Denver's premier neighborhoods. These days the Highlands  is just as unaffordable as Wash Park, if not more so.  And for good reason - it has lots of beautiful Victorian homes, plenty of nice restaurants and bars, a great used bookstore (West Side Books), and even a brew pub - The Oasis - located in a former church, which makes perfect sense, since beer has become almost a religion out here these days.






In hindsight, it is probably good that I never bought a house here when I had a chance.  After I got divorced, I would probably not have been able to afford the mortgage payments.  Plus, I notice they have shops around here such as "Kale Me Crazy," which must do a good business or they wouldn't be around.  Which means a lot of California transplants must live here now. Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment