Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Summer On 17th Street







One of things I miss about working at Denver's Tattered Cover Bookstore is being able to walk down 17th Street after work to Union Station and the light rail train home. And so once in a while I take the bus up to the corner of Colfax and Josephine and take that walk anyway, with the added benefit of not having to work all day before I do.  This street is famous for all it's bars and restaurants, and during the summer months the hipster set likes to hang out on the patios, eating their hipster food and washing it down with craft brews.  As I have mentioned before, Dos Santos - seen in the photograph on the left - seems very popular, and I am tempted to try it out one of these days (it is an upscale taco joint). Just down the street is the Vine Street Pub, a brew pub owned by Mountain Sun up in Boulder, which I have indeed patronized.  However, both places only take cash or checks, which I find very traumatizing, so I don't go there often.


There is a huge apartment building going up on 17th, directly across the street from a waffle place with a large, grassy patio, where I very seldom see any patrons (hopefully they do a huge breakfast business), but there are still a large number of late 19th and early 20th century homes and retail buildings on the street, such as the one in the photograph on the right.  This place, by the way, is a "day spa." I have no idea what they do to people in there, only that it probably costs a lot.  Nice flowers though.  Closer to downtown, the buildings get taller and the area much denser,and you come to what I still refer to as the United Bank Building, even though there is no longer a United Bank.  It is distinctive in that it looks like a mailbox on top, and was originally going to be built in Texas, before the developers realized that it might involve Texas, and they built it here instead.  A little bit of trivia to spark up your day - still another service of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment