Saturday, June 22, 2019

Getting Nostalgic About Chautauqua





Every summer my mother Mary would fly up (via airplane) to Denver from her home in Stuart, Florida to visit for a few weeks and escape the Florida heat.  And at least once every trip we would try to have brunch at the Chautauqua Dining Hall in Boulder.  It is located in the park of the same name, right up against the Flatirons.  You eat outside on a wraparound porch, where you have breathtaking views of the mountains, the park, and Boulder itself.  They have been serving meals there since 1898, and checking the internet I see that they still are (www.chautauqua.com/dining-hall/overview/). I took the photograph on the left of my brother-in-law George, mother Mary, and sister Susan somewhere around the year 2000 (remember Y2K?). It was always an exciting morning.  My mother and I would drive up to Boulder from Denver, and Susan and George would drive down from Fort Collins.  My mother and I would arrive first, and sit out in front waiting for Susan and George.  Susan is not a morning person, and brunch ended at 11:00 A.M.in those days, and so it was always a question whether Susan and George would arrive before brunch ended.  I would stand by the edge of the park drive, looking for their Smart Car, hoping against hope they would arrive soon. They always made it in time, but just barely. Living life pushing the outside edge of the envelope, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment