Saturday, June 29, 2019

Meow Wolf...


Meow Wolf, a Santa Fe "arts and entertainment group" that features "immersive and interactive exhibits," is coming to Denver.  This organization started out as an art collective in Santa Fe in 2008 and has been wildly successful.  It is most famous for the House of Eternal Return, created with the help of Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin.  I myself have never visited this Santa Fe icon, or for that matter read the Game of Throne books or watched the television series. All I know is that this art museum prides itself on weirdness (if you don't believe me, check out their website at https://meowwolf.com/about/).  What I want to know is why it is being built in a triangular patch of ground between three elevated highways (as seen in the photo on the left, in the background behind the Ironworks, a local event space)? I find that very strange.  On the other hand, it is right next to the parking lot for Mile High Stadium, where the Denver Broncos play, and Broncos fans are indeed very weird, too.  Maybe it does make sense.






In any case, this is mainly an industrial area, connected to Mile High Stadium's parking areas by Lower Colfax Avenue.  However, just down the street is Brooklyn's, a bar and restaurant that caters to football fans during the season.  I remember going to this place (seen in the photograph on the right) several times - once with my then wife Lisa, my friend Stuart and his then girlfriend, whose name I can't remember but who I remember owned  a huge and scary Doberman named Scarlet. The other time was when I contemplated going to a University of Colorado/Colorado State football game, but wound up watching the game at Brooklyn's when I found out how pricey those tickets were. Just recently, by the way, the Denver Broncos announced a plan  for a major mixed use project in the parking lot that borders both Brooklyn's and the future Meow Wolf. Where football fans will park their cars I don't know, but maybe Meow Wolf is not so crazy after all - perhaps they are wolves in cat's clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment