Sunday, May 19, 2024

A Tom Robbins Flashback


I took the photograph above of Tom Robbins at a book signing at the Tattered Cover Bookstore back in 2014, when I was working there as the bookkeeper. He was signing copies of his "un-memoir," Tibetan Peach Pie, which had recently been released. The offices for that local chain were in the basement of the Colfax Avenue location, and my office was just down the hall from where the author signings took place. Whenever there was an author I wanted to hear speak, I could simply work a little longer and then come out and take a seat. These days, well-known authors have their events in auditoriums, and you have to purchase a ticket, which includes a copy of the book. No more just sitting down and listening to the author on the spur of the moment. In any case, Tom Robbins is now 92, and Tibetan Peach Pie is the last book he has written. He has been called one of the best writers of the 20th Century, but to be honest, I have never read any of his books. I just wanted to sit down and hear what he had to say, which of course can no longer be done these days. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment