Sunday, May 12, 2024

Happy Mother's Day!


Today is Mother's Day, and on this special holiday I am featuring a photograph of my mother Mary, taken many years ago on the Riverwalk down in Fort Lauderdale. My mother lived almost 30 years in Stuart, Florida. She and my father Nelson retired there from Chicago in 1976, and she continued living there after my father passed away in 1983. She told me she had more friends down there than at any other time in her life. My sister Susan and I would visit her 2 or 3 times a year, and often take day trips around the state, including to Fort Lauderdale, where we would walk along the Riverwalk and sometimes have lunch at Las Olas Riverfront, a very nice riverside shopping center that went into decline when the Great Recession started in 2008. It was torn down a few years ago. It is so nice to look at that photo and remember the times when my mother was healthy, living the happiest years of her life, and we could all get together and enjoy each other's company. Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment