Monday, February 13, 2017

A Quick Trip To The DAM



I had only about 40 minutes until closing time, and so I rushed to the Denver Art Museum Saturday afternoon to take a quick look at a new exhibit called Mi Tierra.  It is a show taking up the entire top floor of the Hamilton Wing of the museum, and features Latino artists whose works express their interpretation of  Hispanic life in the Southwestern United States.  I arrived so late at the museum I took the clerk at the reception by surprise.  I grabbed my sticker and sprinted up the stairs to the top floor, taking a brief moment to look over the side to the lobby below (see photograph on the left).





I needn't have hurried.  The exhibition was not going to open until February 19th.  And I might add that they have been setting up this exhibit for months now - I think the impressionists painted most of their masterworks far faster than the time this project is taking. Hopefully when it finally opens, it will be a stunning presentation.  We shall see.









The visit wasn't a total loss, however.  I stopped in to take another look at the Glory Of Venice: Masterworks of the Renaissance, which will be closing soon, as well as What it Means to be Modern, 1910-1960, which showcases modernist works on paper from the first half of the twentieth century.  What I didn't see was the museum's featured exhibit - Start Wars and the Power of Costume.  They are actually charging big bucks to see that show, so forget about it.  Seeing the various costumes painted onto figures on the various elevators throughout the building (see example in the photo on the left) was quite enough for me, thank you very much.  All in all, it was a quick but very satisfactory visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment