Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Speaking Of Murder


I just finished reading Speaking of Murder, the latest Milan Jacovich mystery novel by Les Roberts.  All of these stories take place in Cleveland, Ohio, of all places.  This particular mystery involves a murder at a convention of motivational speakers.  Roberts grew up in Chicago, but now lives in Cleveland and is an enthusiastic booster of the city.  I picked up one of the books in the series years ago, and got into the habit of reading each new novel as it came out.  They are nothing exceptional, but the stories peak your interest, and I enjoy the local color, learning a bit about modern Cleveland.  Evidently the city is thriving, as opposed to years ago when it was called the "mistake by the lake" and it's Cuyahoga River actually caught fire.  My Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie lived there, in the suburb of South Euclid, and I remember visiting them with my parents.  I even remember us going one time to the local amusement park, Euclid Beach - located right on Lake Erie - along with my cousin Linda.  It was a very rainy night, all of the rides were shut down, and we didn't stay long.  What I know for sure is that Cleveland might of changed, but it's lousy weather sure hasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment