Monday, February 6, 2017

More Florida Nostalgia





Last week it was hellishly cold here in Denver.  It was even cold in the basement office of the bookstore where I work as the bookkeeper.  I wound up wearing my coat each day, trying to stay warm.  No wonder I am feeling nostalgic about Florida, where my sister and I own a condo in Stuart, which we inherited from my mother.  The photograph on the left I have in a frame in the living room, and shows my sister Susan, myself, and my mother Mary about to board the Jungle Queen, a sightseeing boat that cruises up Fort Lauderdale's New River.  It leaves from Bahia Mar Marina, where John D. McDonald's literary hero Travis McGee moored his houseboat, the Busted Flush.  That was indeed a happy day, cruising past mansions and then a stretch of wilderness to an island in the middle of the river that featured a few old time tourist attractions.  We were all together, happy, and warm.  Those were the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment