Sunday, February 26, 2017

But Is It REALLY Art?



I went to Final Friday at the Denver Art Museum (the DAM) Friday night, and was surprised that they featured a talk on wresting by the Rocky Mountain Pro Wrestling Association. They also had a large television screen on the wall that featured an advertisement from the Mercury Pro Wrestling Academy, wanting you to sign up for wrestling lessons.  Probably more like acting lessons, but what do I know?  The speakers insisted that wresting was indeed an art form. Really?  I mean really?  I think that is stretching things.  Who will the DAM invite next, I wonder?




I got very bored very quickly with the wrestling talk and instead went to see the Buntport Theater presentation of Joan and Charlie, two actors who do a skit in the freight elevator while dressed as the figures in one of the museum's paintings. Is this art too?  Perhaps not, but they are funny.  They perform a different skit each month, and do it to promote the offerings of the Buntport Theater.  I am sometimes tempted to visit it, but I suspect they might want you to pay money to see their performances there, so forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment