Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Zoo - Part II


As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I visited the Denver Zoo this past Sunday afternoon to take a few photographs.  It was not overly cold, but evidently too cold for the monkeys and apes, and so I contented myself taking photographs of the big cats, such as the cheetah in the photograph on the left.  This cheetah is definitely not afraid to stare you right in the eye.  I often wonder what it is thinking as it looks at you - is it bitter about being caged, and blames you for this?  Is it better to let these creatures stay in the wilderness and not cage them in zoos across the world?  There are arguments for both sides, of course, and I can see both points.




The cheetah - which I understand can run up to 500 miles per hour, or something to that effect  - I feel sorry for, but I notice that the lions seem to prefer to just lay around doing nothing most of the day.  The lion on the right is one of four teenage lions the zoo acquired a while back, and all four never seem to move around very much.  Is this the way they are in the wild, or are they just clinically depressed?  If so, they need to send an intern into the compound to poke them with a stick, and get them moving about.

No comments:

Post a Comment