Friday, October 5, 2018

A DAM Fine Exhibit




I went to the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) last week to see the new Rembrandt exhibit.  It focuses on Rembrandt's etchings and his skill as a print-maker.  It was Final Friday, a monthly event that combines art, tours, and performances of various kinds. However, that event didn't start until 6:00 P.M., and ever since the museum discontinued the buffet table, Final Friday has lost a lot of it's charm.  And so I decided to go in the afternoon instead, when I thought I would have the place to myself.  Actually, the exhibit was crowded with both older people (in other words, my age) and students. Which was okay, of course. I guess after working all these years every day, I forgot that many people have a lot of free time during the day.






In any case, I really enjoyed seeing the Rembrandt exhibit.  The etchings were quite good, and it was pretty interesting to learn that Rembrandt concentrated on print-making so much because he could make a good living at it. I was kind of shocked, however, to find that an early Rembrandt self portrait, which I have seen many times before and is one of his most famous works, is only about 2 inches square. I had to take off my glasses to be able to see it clearly.  The thing I like most about it is that Rembrandt was able to capture my true inner feelings over 300 years before I was born.  A true genius.





No comments:

Post a Comment