Monday, October 8, 2018

Columbus Day - No Longer A School Holiday...



Today is Columbus Day, which is both a federal and state holiday here in Colorado, and also a day banks are closed, too.  However, whenever I think of Columbus Day, I think of getting a day off from school, which is why I am featuring a photograph of my teacher, Mrs. McCormick, taken inside our classroom at Fort Dearborn Grammar School, in the South Side Chicago Brainerd neighborhood, back in the early 1960s.  I think I might have even gotten a reprimand for taking this photograph, but I was still able to keep it and get it developed for history's sake, and also to show what I was getting a reprieve from. However, these days Columbus Day is not a school holiday in most places, since the day is now considered politically incorrect.  They still have Columbus Day parades, but even these have stirred controversy.  For a while each year the Columbus Day parade here in Denver would be protested by Native American organizations, and the event often descended into mayhem.  This hasn't happened lately, however.  In fact, the parade gets no publicity at all these days. Coincidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment