Sunday, October 7, 2018

Resuming The Walk Down 17th Street



I have missed the walk I used to take from the Tattered Cover Bookstore (where I used to work as the bookkeeper) to Denver's Union Station, where I would take the light rail train home.  Therefore, this past Friday afternoon I decided to take the bus up to the corner of Colfax and Josephine and walk from there down 17th street to the light rail train, just like in the good old days. When I boarded the bus in front of my condo, it was sunny and 72 degrees, and when I got off, it was 54 degrees with a very strong (and damnably cold) wind, and so it was a chilly walk without a coat, but still tolerable.  In any case, I really enjoyed walking down 17th Street, seeing all the changes that have occurred since I last took that walk.  I noticed some really nice older buildings (like the one in the top left of the above collage), plus a huge new building that was just a hole in the ground the last time I passed by (as seen in the upper right and lower left of the collage).  What I really noticed most was that a significant number of restaurants and bars have closed their doors along my route, especially along the 16th Street Mall.  Has Denver finally reached the saturation point for hipster bars (such as the pop up one in the bottom right of the collage)?  Has the endless stream of hipsters coming to Denver finally stopped?  I hope not, since there are a huge number of apartment buildings still being built for them all over town.  This could be the start of a major crisis for Denver.  And so for God's sake, wherever you live, PLEASE SEND US YOUR HIPSTERS.  We need them now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment