Monday, October 29, 2018

The Last Colorado Rapids (Not To Mention Baseball) Game Of The Season



I went with my friend Mark to see the last Colorado Rapids soccer game of the season yesterday. It was a very pleasant afternoon, sunny and 75 degrees, and so it was a good day to watch a game.  And I learned several things, too.  The first is that if the ball goes into the stands, unlike in baseball, you have to give it back, or else they come after you with tasers (these are, after all, soccer fans).  And secondly, after the last game of the season, the players walk around the field to thanks the fans, just like at Coors Field.  I don't know who any of these guys in the above photo are, but it is a nice gesture nonetheless.



In any case, I took the photograph of Mark after the game as a very weird soccer ritual was taking place on the field. You enter your name online, agree to be called about buying season tickets, and then are entered in a contest that, if selected, allows you to go onto the field and receive a players jersey.  They call it "giving you the shirt off their back," but they don't actually take off their shirt and throw it at you, but simply hand you a different jersey. To me, that is a violation of truth in advertising, but that is just me.  And last but not least, later that evening, on television, I saw the Boston Red Sox win the World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers in 5 games, marking the end of the 2018 baseball season.  Now that's sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment