Wednesday, March 6, 2019

A Cold Winter's Walk...




This past Sunday the morning's low was 6 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, and I decided to stay home and watch a spring training baseball game from sunny Florida.  However, after the game, I was a bit stir crazy, and since the temperature had heated up to 8 degrees, decided to take a walk over to nearby Observatory Park to get a little exercise.  I put on my sweater, thermal Michigan State sweatshirt (long story), and stocking cap, and headed out the door.  This is the same outfit I wore when I worked as a rural post office carrier in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, and I must say, I felt quite warm.  And unlike working at the post office, I knew I would be home within the hour, as opposed to having to stay out until all hours of the night.  And no, I am not still bitter.



In any case, the Observatory Park neighborhood is quite nice.  Many of the houses surrounding the park are beautiful old Victorians, although like many Denver neighborhoods, some of these older homes have been torn down to make room for McMansions.  I took the photograph on the right of the homes just across the street from the park, and I must say, I would not mind living here at all, as long as someone else paid the mortgage, the property taxes, and the heating bills. On a hunch that I will not find a person willing to do this, I guess I will just have to be happy with my condo across the street from the University of Denver, just a short walk from this beautiful neighborhood.




Speaking of the University of Denver, I finished my walk strolling around the campus.  I had planned on walking around the grounds and then heading into the Driscoll Center, the location of the DU Bookstore, where I worked as the store's Finance Manager for almost 30 years, but then remembered the north side of the center has been torn down to make room for a new student center.  If I did make it across the bridge connecting the north and south sides of the complex, it would be a long drop to ground level.  Best to just take the walkway next to it and get home in one piece.  I must really be getting old, avoiding those types of daredevil activities I enjoyed so much when I was younger.  I probably won't even jump off my 4th floor balcony into the condo building's pool this summer.  What a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment