Thursday, March 7, 2019

Exploring The Food Hall Craze



Food halls seem to be popping up all over the place.  Here in Denver, we now have Zeppelin Station, The Preservery, Stanley Market, the Denver Milk Market in LoDo, Denver Central Market in RiNo, The Source Market Hall, also in RiNo, Avanti Food + Beverage in LoHi, and now Broadway Market.  I know these food halls are popping up all over the country, but what I really want to know is if everyplace else in the country is giving their neighborhoods all these crazy acronyms. In Denver we have LoDo, RiNo, LoHi, SoBo, and God knows what else.  Are we too cool here to actually pronounce the full name?  But I digress (as usual). Yesterday was such a dreary day that I decided to head down to South Broadway to check out Broadway Market, the latest addition to the genre. As you can see from the photograph on the left, the patrons of Broadway Market are a mellow bunch - they are actually smiling for the camera.  Probably had a few brews.




I must admit that I like the vibe at these food halls.  They feature a wide variety of food stalls, and the atmosphere is relaxed and fun.  There is always a bar featuring a wide variety of cocktails, beer, and wine, and Broadway Market even features what they call a "beer wall." You evidently get some sort of "fob" card as you walk in, and can then go over to the beer wall, sample up to 24 different beers, then choose which one you want to drink. Afterwards, you settle up at the checkout counter, if you can still walk that far.  Sounds like one of the greatest technological inventions of the age to me.


I myself decided to give the beer wall and the bar a pass, and for good reason.  I once drove over to the Lower Highlands neighborhood to visit Avanti Food + Beverage.  In addition to the usual plethora of food stalls, there was a bar both on the lower level and on the rooftop, which has a spectacular view of downtown Denver.  It was a wonderful place to stand on a warm summer evening and take in the scenery, but I'll be damned if the beer didn't cost $7.00.  I mean seriously - there are views in the world I would certainly pay $7.00 to see, but not of downtown Denver (and no offense meant).  Cruising around the Broadway Market, I noticed a lot of the stalls were selling sandwiches for $12.00, and so I had no intention of finding out what a beer would cost. Next time I visit, perhaps I will just bring in my own beer. I also have to mention that the South Broadway neighborhood is a bit iffy.  Lots of homeless people hanging out there.  But happily, there is a pawn shop right across the street, just in case you have to find a way to pay for those $7.00 beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment