Friday, March 22, 2019

Exploring SloHi


It is hard to believe, but still another Denver neighborhood is adopting a new acronym - the SloHi neighborhood.  I assume this stands for the Sloans Lake/Highlands area, but you never know.  I used to take my mother to a seniors medical facility in this neighborhood, but haven't taken a good look at it in 10 years.  The northern part of Sloan's Lake has always been an upscale area, and morphs into the Highlands, one of the more popular neighborhoods in Denver.  The area just east of the lake was traditionally an Hispanic neighborhood, but the other day I discovered it is filled with upscale apartments, townhouses, and condos.  It is a sea change since the last time I saw it.  The biggest project is The Lake House, seen in the photograph on the left. The location reminds me of the high rises on Lincoln Park back in Chicago, which had beautiful views of both the park and the lakefront.  Of course, Sloans Lake is no Lake Michigan, but on the plus side, you can walk around it in an hour, as opposed to Lake Michigan, which could take weeks or months.


I must say, the view of the mountains from Sloans Lake is quite impressive, as seen in the photograph on the right. Which is probably why the area has become so popular with developers. And although the buildings along the lake are very impressive, most of the construction these days seems to be along West Colfax, which years ago was a very questionable area.  These new high rises being built along Colfax have names like the Regatta, evoking images of the sea. Considering that Denver is 1,000 miles from the ocean, I guess you have to take what you can get.  I mentioned all this to my sister Susan, and she wants to know why Denver doesn't have a neighborhood called LoCo.  Good question.  I am sure that particular acronym will turn up soon, and attract the true eccentrics (locos),  most probably from California.

No comments:

Post a Comment