Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Baseball Season Begins!



The 2019 baseball season has begun at last.  The Colorado Rockies, Chicago White Sox, and Chicago Cubs all begin play today, and I personally believe that this will be the first "subway" World Series in Chicago since 1906, back when my friend Stuart - a Cubs fan and northsider - was a mere child.  I myself, who was born and raised in the south side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, have always been a White Sox fan, and am also convinced the White Sox will prevail over the Cubs in 7 games during that fall classic. And no, I have no intention of placing any bets on this.  I am a dedicated fan, but I am not stupid.  By the way, the above photograph shows legendary baseball announcer Harry Caray in the broadcast booth at Comiskey Park, leading the crowd in singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," back when he and Jimmy Piersall were broadcasting Chicago White games. I took that photograph back in 1980 at that classic south side ballpark, which is now sadly gone.  But no matter - winning it all will help alleviate that loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment