Friday, March 8, 2019

Denver's Hippest Nightclub



As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I visited Denver's newest food hall Wednesday afternoon to check out "the scene." And as unofficial "king of the hipsters" here in Denver (according to my friends Bill and Renee), I felt I was duty bound to also check out Denver's newest, hottest nightclub, The Temple, located on South Broadway just two blocks to the north of that food hall.  And yes, the photograph on the left is indeed the entrance to The Temple.  There is no sign outside, so the only way I could find the place was to look up the address on the internet.  I was visiting it around 5:00 in the afternoon, and the place didn't open it's doors until 10:00 P.M., so I assume that was why it seemed a bit deserted.  This area of South Broadway, by the way, is filled with empty storefronts, pawnshops, and homeless people (one of whom can be seen in the photo with his dog), and so I had a hard time feeling the hipster vibe.



After taking a look at the place, I walked down to Broadway Market, which although still in this dreary neighborhood, actually had people inside, and was fairly lively.  After I took some photos there, I walked back the way I had come and took a photograph looking toward The Temple from a different angle.  There was a mural of Prince on the wall - always a sign that hipsters might be in the neighborhood - and I took a photograph of it, with still more homeless people in the background.  It is pretty damn cold around here these days, especially after the sun sets, and I really feel bad for these homeless people, sleeping on the sidewalk and in doorways.  Hopefully the obviously well off hipsters who show up around here at 10:00 P.M. will give a few bucks to these poor souls who have to endure winter in Denver outside.


And just to add a historical note to this post, Denver's previous hottest nightclub, Beta, seen in the photo on the left, went out of business this past fall.  It was just a block away from Coors Field, where the Colorado Rockies play, and I have walked past it for years thinking it was a vacant building.  It evidently had the same hours as Temple (Wednesdays from 10 until 2 and Fridays and Saturdays from 9 until 2), and so it was extremely rare when I was around to actually see people going into the place.  However, I must say I like this building much better than The Temple, and there is actually a banner outside stating it's name, against all hipster rules.  I am not sure how they got away with that, especially since they were one of the top 25 nightclubs in America. One of these days, I will try to stay up past 10 and actually visit one of these establishments, dressed in one of my finest outfits.  I will just have to go through the closet and see if I still have of those old leisure suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment