Sunday, March 31, 2019

The Month Of Photography - The Last Weekend...


This is the last weekend in March, and so yesterday I made a point of touring a few more art galleries featuring photography exhibits in honor of Denver's Month of Photography, a biannual celebration of all things photographic.  I started with the intention of visiting Gallery M, which was featuring "Landmarks of 20th Century Photography."  That sounded truly impressive, and so I was anxious to see what they had on display.  However, when I arrived at the address listed in the paper, it turned out to be a condo building.  I googled Gallery M on my phone to see if there was some sort of error, but no - this is where the gallery is actually located, as seen in the photo on the left. However, it was not open. The gallery's website features very high end works of art, priced in the thousands of dollars (be sure to check it out at https://www.gallerym.com/).  No doubt the owners have the gallery in their home so that they can guard it at night with automatic weapons near their bedside tables, just in case. Very prudent.





My next stop was the Michael Warren Gallery on Santa Fe Drive, which is another high end gallery which was featuring several series of photographs this month, one a little too abstract for my taste. They did feature a spectacular black and white photograph by Kely McClung, titled Falling Up - Chicago #32, as well as a series of modern western American landscapes by Paul Sisson, which were also quite good.  You can find these works at https://www.michaelwarrencontemporary.com/.


My final stop was in Lower Downtown Denver (LoDo), at the Robischon Gallery, which was featuring photographs highlighting the fragile state of our natural environment by photographers David Maisel, Kevin O'Connell, and filmmaker James Benning.  Maisel's photographs of landscapes marred by industry were a bit too abstract for me.  O'Connell's photographs of the plains of Colorado and Wyoming (O'Connell is a fellow University of Denver alum, by the way) I found much more appealing.  As for Benning, his documentary film featuring a round trip journey between California and Louisiana looked pretty interesting, but being in downtown Denver, I had limited time on my parking meter and had to get back to my car.  Such is the burden of being a cheapskate.  You ca check out their work at https://www.robischongallery.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment