Thursday, April 4, 2019

It's April - Can Summer Be Far Behind?




After a fairly intense winter, spring has arrived, and everyone is anxiously awaiting summer.  I myself have always loved summer, and distinctly remember sitting in my classroom in early June at Fort Dearborn Grammar School - in the south side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago - waiting for the end of school.  And summer means vacation time, which for our family meant 2 weeks at a resort in Canada.  Before I was born, my family and my Uncle Bill's (my mother's brother) family would go to a resort called Britannia, located on the Lake of Bays in Ontario. When it got too pricey, they next went to a place called Lumina in the same area, where the picture on the left was taken back in 1955. It is one of only two photographs taken of the whole family at the same time that I can find.  What's the deal with that?  In any case, from left to right are me, at my charming best, my father Nelson, my sister Susan, and my mother Mary, enjoying the Canadian sunshine, which as I recall sometimes never materialized at all during the trip. And amazingly enough, of the three Ontario resorts our family vacationed at - Britannia and Lumina on the Lake of Bays and Torpitt Lodge on Sparrow Lake - Lumina actually still exists. You can fact-check me on this by going to their website at https://luminaresort.com/.  And if you decide to visit, be sure to bring your umbrella, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment