Saturday, April 6, 2019

Opening Day 2019...



Yesterday was the home opener for both the Colorado Rockies here in Denver and the Chicago White Sox, my south side heros, back in Chicago. As I did last year, I elected not to attend the Rockies game, and used that money instead for a subscription to MLB.com so that I can watch every White Sox (and in a pinch, Chicago Cubs) game this season.  And yesterday I did just that.  I took the light rail train down to Coors Field, walked around the neighborhood soaking up the party atmosphere, then went home and watched the end of the White Sox game on my computer, and later that night the Cubs game.  The Rockies lost big time, by the way, as did the Cubs, but the White Sox won a very exciting contest back at Comiskey Park, or wherever they play these days.



As can be seen from the photographs, a lot of people anted up over a hundred - perhaps even hundreds - of dollars to attend this game, although I did hear a few people say they could not afford to go, and were just walking around the area for the fun of it.  What I found truly amazing was the size of the crowd in the streets and on the rooftop bars after the game started. Last year it was 27 degrees in Denver at the time of the first pitch, but this year it was 70 degrees, and the millennials were in full party mode.  To them it wasn't about baseball. It was just another holiday to celebrate at the bars in Lower Downtown Denver (LoDo), just like on St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, or the installation of a new pope, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment