Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Pope Of Palm Beach



I recently finished reading The Pope of Palm Beach, a Serge A. Storms novel by Tim Dorsey.  This series features Serge, a serial killer with a heart of gold, and his drug-addled friend Coleman, who roam the State of Florida to see it's wonders and to avenge the evil deeds of the many low-life criminals who live in that state.  In the Pope of Palm Beach, they begin a literary tour of Florida, starting in Key West and then driving up the coast to Rivera Beach, Serge's (and Tim Dorsey's) hometown.  There they find one of Serge's favorite authors, who has been hiding out for years after he and his mentor, a surfer named Darby Pope, ran afoul of the mafia.  For a long time I read this series (usually advanced reading copies) as soon as they came out, but stopped reading them a number of years ago.  I finally decided to start back again beginning with the newest and going backwards until I come to the last book in the series I have read.  This particular story features a part of Florida I know well, and includes a dramatic finale at Trapper Nelson's old campsite in Loxahatchee State Park, which I have visited and enjoyed.  If you like reading Carl Hiaasen's wacky Florida crime novels and are looking for something even weirder, be sure to give this series a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment