Wednesday, April 24, 2019

A Daily Double





Yesterday I had to stay home all day while workers  installed a new radiator in my condo.  The place was built in 1967 (seriously, does that sound old for a building to you?), and so parts were not available to fix the old unit. Hence, while they installed the new one, I sat and read in my den as the installation team worked in the living room.  In that time, I actually started and finished Tuesdays With Morrie, an inspirational book about the meaning of life that was on the bestseller list for 4 years at the end of the last century.  I just knew I would get to it some day, and now I have.  A good book to read if you are one of the few that hasn't.



Tuesdays With Morrie was about a sociology professor at Brandeis University who was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), facing death within months, and a former student who commuted from Detroit to Boston every Tuesday to once again hear his old professor's wisdom and positive outlook while facing the end of his life. The book truly makes you think about what is important in life and how to live while you are still alive.  After I finished the book, the workers were still trying to install the unit (many problems, naturally), and so I wound up finishing reading Clownfish Blues, still another Tim Dorsey novel about Serge, a Florida serial killer with a heart of gold (who prefers to be called a sequential killer, since he doesn't kill unless the person truly deserves it). In the book, when a Miami police detective asks a pizza delivery man if he noticed anything unusual going on in a motel room where he delivered pizza, he replied "not really. The thin one had a beauty contestant sash on him, the chubby one was wearing a panda head, and the dude tied up in the chair wore an orange safety cone on this head." The detective asked if all this seemed normal to him, and the pizza guy replied that the detective must be new to Miami.  Does this seem really funny to you, too, or have I just gone round the bend?

No comments:

Post a Comment