Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Cell Phones - A Curmudgeon's Nightmare



As far as I am concerned, cell phones are a nightmare, the biggest reason being that virtually everyone on the planet is on one 24/7.  What is the deal with that?  A second  reason is what you have to go through if you want to replace it, at least a cheap one, like I use. I broke my cell phone last week (I damaged the port used to charge it), and had to buy a new one.  I have cell phone service with Virgin Mobile. Six years ago you could buy their phones at Walmart, Target, and many other stores.  I spent this past Saturday morning driving all over town looking for one, with no luck.  I called the company, and was given the addresses of 3 stores where they said I could buy their phone.  All three turned out to be Sprint stores (Sprint owns Virgin Mobile), but when I drove over to one of them, I was told that they don't sell Virgin Mobile phones, and I could only order one online.  Of course, the battery was running down on my old phone, which could no longer be recharged.  Would I continue to have phone service until the new one arrived? When it did come, I found out that there were no instructions for it in the box.  I went online to activate the devise, and was given a list of phones for which you could download the owners manual.  Of course, my new phone was not one of them.  Why should I be surprised?  It makes me long for the good old days, when you called Ma Bell to come over and install a phone, and after they did, they simply went away.  And - I might add - back then the phone always stayed tethered to the wall in your home, and not in the hands of virtually everyone out on the street.  And no, I am NOT an old fogey.

No comments:

Post a Comment