Saturday, December 14, 2019

Eight Weeks Until Spring Training!



Hard to believe, but true - baseball spring training begins in only 8 weeks.  Pitchers and catchers report the week of February 10th, the rest of the team a week later, and my south side heros, the Chicago White Sox, are predicted to be a contender, after years of rebuilding.  And in honor of this truly stunning turn of events, I am once again featuring the photograph of legendary White Sox and Cubs television and radio broadcaster Harry Caray in front of the Comiskey Park scoreboard.  It is a composite of two photographs I took at the ballpark back in 1980, the year before I moved from Chicago to Denver.  And - I might add - thanks to a subscription to MLB.com, last year I watched the most White Sox games since that 1980 season.  That was when I finally broke down and bought an annual subscription to that online service, thanks to Denver's near-do-well baseball team, the Colorado Rockies.  For years I faithfully bought Colorado Rockies opening day tickets.  However, prices for that game went up dramatically thanks to the concept of "dynamic pricing," where the cost to buy a ticket changes based on demand.  It finally got to the point where an opening day ticket for the worst seat at Coors Field cost more than a one year subscription to MLB.com.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out which is the better deal.  Thanks, Colorado Rockies, for guiding me back to my south side Chicago roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment