Sunday, August 16, 2020

A Long Ago Visit To Saint Augustine






Back in April and May of 1975, my mother Mary, father Nelson and I took a road trip from Chicago to Stuart, Florida, where my parents were thinking of retiring (and did indeed do so the following year). I took the photograph on the left of my parents standing in front of the oldest wooden school house in the country (built in or before 1716) when we stopped off to visit St. Augustine on the way home.








I like the city of St. Augustine, especially the Castillo de San Marcos, a Spanish fort built between 1672 and 1695 on the bayfront. I also like the Oldest House, which is Florida's oldest surviving Spanish Colonial home.  It is a pretty town, and the only criticism I have is that a lot of the sites are actually historical reproductions, not original buildings.  Since it has been over 45 years since I took the photograph of my parents on the right, I can't remember if the buildings in the background are original or not, but I think they might be reproductions. They are, of course, quaint, and the street is very picturesque, but be sure to check the plaques on them to understand what you are looking at before you go inside and buy that Slurpee.

No comments:

Post a Comment