Saturday, August 22, 2020

Hiking Near Evergreen





I wanted to go for a short hike, but didn't want to drive too far, and wound up hiking in Alderfer/Three Sisters Park, located near the center of Evergreen, Colorado. It is part of the Jefferson County Open Space, and is made up of 15 trails and 1,100 acres. Evergreen is in the mountains, about 40 minutes west of Denver. It is a town where people can live in the mountains and still have a reasonable commute time to the metro area. Of course, you have to like shoveling snow off your driveway 9 months out of the year, but who doesn't?  In any case, I decided to hike the Sisters Trail, which is a loop that goes over the Three Sisters, three rock outcroppings that are each about 8,000 feet in altitude.




The trail is labeled moderate, but to me it was pretty damn steep, and when I got to the top, I found that you needed to scramble up some rocks and boulders, such as the ones in the photo on the right, to get to the summit. However, there was a guy around my age with a long white beard, who looked like the old man of the mountain, and was blocking my path. He was running a remote controlled toy car over one of the rocks, and did not seem like he intended to leave anytime soon. Rather than deal with a crazy (and there are a lot of them around lately, in case you haven't noticed), I decided to head back down to my car. These days, you can only have so much fun and hope to survive the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment