Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Wildlife In Fort Collins? Kind Of...





I recently read that a moose was spotted walking down the street in the north part of Fort Collins, Colorado and was sedated, taken up Poudre Canyon, and released in more moose friendly territory. I myself have been looking for moose to photograph for years now, with no success.  The best "wildlife" photographs I can do are my sister Susan's dogs and the various rabbits, squirrels, and occasional deer running through the neighborhood. I took the photograph on the left of Susan's dog Blackberry eagerly anticipating getting a dog biscuit, which I use to try and get her to stop eating virtually anything she might find on the ground on our walks.




And speaking of Blackberry, I would be remiss if I did not feature her favorite form of wildlife, which are squirrels. If she spots one racing up a tree, she will stand there until the cows come home, hoping against hope that it will decide to come down and play. These squirrels are constantly on the front patio of my sister Susan's townhouse, helping themselves to the goodies in one of Susan's 10,000 bird feeders. Bird feeders are also supposed to attract bears, but I am here to tell you that THAT is an urban myth. After 39 years in Colorado, I have never seen a single bear in the wild.







I took the photograph on the left of a bunny rabbit under a van while Susan was at her hair appointment. This particular rabbit did not seem especially scared or intimidated by me.  Evidently, hunting bunnies is not a popular activity in Fort Collins, as opposed to some parts of the country, such as Pahokee, Florida. I read in Naked Came the Florida Man, Tim Dorsey's latest adventure novel, that poor kids around that area chase rabbits in the sugar cane fields for food and for the money their hides bring, and in the process turn themselves into star football players. And judging by the record of Colorado State's football team, the Rams, the rabbits here in Fort Collins really do have nothing to worry about.



No comments:

Post a Comment