Thursday, August 6, 2020

Hanging At Horsetooth




I did a bit of hiking the other day at Horsetooth Reservoir, located just to the west of Fort Collins, Colorado.  It is a long, fairly large body of water and very popular with boaters and water-skiers. I parked at Rotary Park and walked for a while along the edge of the cliff overlooking the water, where I took the photograph on the left. When I got back to the parking lot, I came upon a pay station and discovered that Larimer County charges $9.00 a day to spend time here. Good thing I didn't find that out until I was about to leave. This is a really pretty area, and amazingly enough, only 15 minutes or so away from my sister Susan's townhouse in Fort Collins, but I draw the line at having to fork out nine bucks to see it. Next thing you know, New York City will be charging $9.00 to walk around Central Park. Good luck with that.





I also stopped at Duncan's Ridge, which is a popular spot for rock climbing and where I took the photograph on the right. Happily, there was no sign in the parking area demanding payment. But I must say, it was a pretty steep climb up to the top, and I am beginning to think that I am more out of shape than I thought. However, whenever I think about taking up jogging - to paraphrase Mark Twain - I tend to lie down until the feeling passes. Perhaps rock climbing would be a better choice? What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment