Sunday, August 2, 2020

Remembering A Cottage In Jensen Beach





I found the photograph on the left of my mother Mary and father Nelson standing along the Indian River in Jensen Beach, Florida back in April of 1975 the other day, and scanned it into my computer. We had taken a road trip from Chicago, south through Mississippi (where I almost hit a deer galloping across Interstate 57), to Biloxi, and then along the gulf coast and across the state of Florida to Stuart, where my Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie had retired a few years earlier. My parents wanted to see if they might want to retire there, too, which they wound up doing the following year.




We stayed at a cottage along the Indian River in Jensen Beach, just to the north of Stuart (as seen in the photo on the right), and my aunt and uncle took us around and showed us the area. At that time, Jensen Beach was a pretty small town, almost like a little fishing village, but has since grown quite a bit.  It was best known for being the home of Francis Langford, a movie actress from the 1940s. Just down the road from that cottage was Francis Langford's Outrigger Bar and Restaurant, which as I recall had a kind of Polynesian decor.  It is long gone, of course, like so many things down there. Hopefully those cottages are still around, but with all the development that has gone on in the area, I strongly doubt it. That's progress for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment