Saturday, August 15, 2020

A Trip To Bellvue



No - not the psychiatric hospital in New York City. The small town in the foothills west of Fort Collins, Colorado. My sister Susan and I took a drive along Horsetooth Reservoir Thursday and ended up driving through Bellvue. In addition to agriculture and timber, this area also boasted a stone quarry used by the Union Pacific Railroad. Because of this, Jacob Flowers - a local farmer - decided to open a mercantile store there around 1880, as seen on the left in the above photo and now the Bellvue Grange. The yellow building in the background was once the Bellvue Store and was built in 1915. It is a pretty little town, and close to the Arapahoe and Roosevelt National Forest. However, although it seems pleasant enough in the middle of summer, I can just imagine what it is like in the winter. And keep in mind, those buildings are no longer stores, which means a long drive down to the grocery store in Fort Collins during the middle of a blizzard. And if I lived there, I am sure one would occur every time I got in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment