Sunday, August 30, 2020

More Stuart Florida Nostalgia





I ran across some photographs of my sister Susan and mother Mary that I took in Stuart, Florida back in October of 1999, during one of Susan and my many visits there. The photograph on the left was taken along the St. Lucie River, just a short walk from my mother's condo. Walking down to the river at sunset was a nightly tradition, and it never got old. After my sister and mother would walk back home, I myself would linger and take a few hundred or so sunset photos, some of which actually turned out well.



Another tradition was to head to Stuart Beach each afternoon, where my mother would sit under the shelter on the boardwalk and read the Stuart News, while Susan and I would walk along the ocean to the House of Refuge Museum and back. Sometimes, on the way home, if we had time, we would stop and walk around Old Town Stuart, which was once a true downtown, but more and more has become an entertainment and tourist destination. I took the photo on the right at the Colorado Avenue Mini Park, just steps from Osceola Street, downtown Stuart's main drag. Just past this park were old homes and apartments that fronted the river, but I have recently heard that these buildings have been torn down, to be replaced by a pricey, upscale condo development. Sad to see all these changes taking place. And no - I do not sound like an old curmudgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment