Monday, April 16, 2018

A Cold Day At The Zoo



As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I went to the Denver Zoo late Friday afternoon to take photographs of the new baby orangutan, which made it's debut that day.  It was tough to get a decent photograph in that dark environment, and so when I finally realized I wasn't going to get a better shot, I walked around outside looking for photo opportunities.  It was a very cold day, with an extremely strong, cold wind, and so I virtually had the run of the place to myself.  Which is kind of fun, since you are the only person the animals have to focus on, and this makes for great portraits.  Although many of the animals, such as the monkeys, giraffes, and other warm weather beasts, were inside, a couple of the big cats were outside, checking out the scene, such as the lion in the photograph on the left.  I noticed the door to the inside was open, and so he could have gone inside if he wanted to, but chose to stay where he was.




That was not true of the tiger in the photograph on the right, who I talked to a bit about the cold and who seemed more than happy to pose for the camera.  As far as I could tell, he had no choice but to stay outside in the new compound they call The Edge. Although the zoo hypes it as a much better environment for the tigers, it seems pretty much the same size as their previous compound to me, except for the fact they can now climb up to a second level and look down on zoo visitors, deciding which ones they would pounce upon and have for supper if the chain link fence wasn't there.  But not the tiger in the photo - he was just commiserating with me about the poor weather conditions. Probably takes his appetite away.

No comments:

Post a Comment