Friday, April 20, 2018

Remembering Knox College



My sister Susan was reminiscing about her years at Knox College the other day.  She still receives the Knox newsletter, even though she has never once informed them of her address.  I suspect that colleges and universities employee ex-CIA agents to make sure they have an exact location for every student who ever attended their school, thus enabling them to barrage alumni with requests for money for the rest of their lives..  In any case, I remember driving to Galesburg with Susan and my mother and father when she first started college there.  I ran across the above photographs from that trip in one of our old photo albums.  In the photo on the left is of course me, at my most harming best, the photo in the center is of my father Nelson, and the photo on the right shows my sister Susan with her sorority sisters (Susan is on the left, looking as though drying dishes is the most wonderful activity in the world.  How times have changed). The Knox campus is very pretty, by the way, and as I remember it, Galesburg is a very pretty, and historic town, too. It is the birthplace of Carl Sandburg, and was also the site of one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates.  That one trip was the only time I ever visited the place.  After that we would take Susan to the LaSalle Street Station (now long gone) in downtown Chicago, where she would catch the Rock Island train back to Galesburg. And would I ever want to go back there to visit? I guess it is like going to the rodeo - once is interesting, twice is a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment