Thursday, April 5, 2018

Origin



I just finished reading Dan Brown's latest book, Origin.  I was on the waiting list for months, and when the library finally called me, I had forgotten I had ordered it in the first place.  I must say, Brown's last few books have not been very good.  The Lost Symbol (2009) was just a stinker, and the ending of Inferno (2013) was so stupid, you wanted to hurl the book across the room after you got done reading it. Therefore, I did not have high expectations for Origin, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty good.  Once again Harvard professor Robert Langdon is the central character, and attends the announcement at the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao of a scientific discovery that appears to be a threat to the world's religions. The tech genius who makes the discovery, a friend and former student of Langdon's, is shot dead before revealing the secret, and the story moves quickly from there.  Interestingly, one of the main characters is a super intelligent computer with a British accent that is frighteningly human-like.  A sign of things to come? I really liked the book, and recommend that you order it from your local library today.  Expect to get it in about 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment