Friday, April 13, 2018

Cap's Place



The other day I ran across the above photograph of my sister Susan and mother Mary that I took at Cap's Place, a restaurant located on an island in the inter-coastal waterway  in Lighthouse Point, Florida that I took many years ago.  To get there, you have to take a boat, and finding that boat dock has always been a challenge for me.  Cap's Place was a speakeasy during prohibition, and as one chatty bartender put it, it has been visited by John F. Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, and Winston Churchill, but not at the same time.  In any case, the first time we went there, the island was filled with feral cats, which my sister found enchanting.  On the second visit, however, the cats were gone, to the chagrin of my sister.  She also didn't like the rather loud group of people dining near us, which  she was convinced was a Mafia gathering (she was probably still in a bad mood  because of the cats).  And speaking of cats, on another trip from Stuart, Florida to Savannah and Charleston, we stayed at a motel in St. Augustine, where my sister found a cute kitten, which she insisted on bringing back to Stuart with her.  My mother was not having any of that.  It was a battle of wills, and my mother won.  Did I mention that my family is crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment