Sunday, June 5, 2016

Another Florida Sunset



I drove over to the Sunset Bay Marina yesterday evening and took the above photograph of the sun setting over the St. Lucie River.  I know sunset photos are cliches, but I don't care.  They are still pretty.  Sunset Bay Marina is owned by H. Wayne Huzinga,  owner of the Miami Dolphins, and is filled with luxury yachts, including one whose home port is Centennial, Colorado, just down University Boulevard from where I live in Denver.  I still don't understand that one.  I just know there is no way they can sail a yacht into Colorado - I think.  In any case, there is a big controversy down in Stuart about the St. Lucie River these days.  Lake Okeechobee's water levels are very high, and so each day the state is releasing 33 million gallons of water into the river.  This water is very polluted from sugar plantation runoff, and is causing algae blooms - some toxic - in the river.  The governor here does not care, and so protesters held a rally on the Palm City Bridge yesterday to get the attention of President Obama, who is in town this weekend to play golf.  Lots of luck with that, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment