Friday, June 17, 2016

Walking The DU Campus




It was such a nice evening, I decided to walk around the University of Denver campus yesterday after I got home from work.  It wasn't much of an effort, since I live right across the street from it.  As regular Blog readers know, I worked at the DU Bookstore for almost 30 years, until the store was outsourced to Follett Higher Education Group.  But I am not bitter.





The university was in danger of closing back in the 1980s, when Dwight Smith took over as chancellor and began to turn things around.  His successor, Dan Ritchie, donated his own money and got many of his wealthy friends to donate money to build many new buildings and start new programs. The university is now thriving. Sadly, Ritchie stepped down as chancellor, but still is involved with the campus, recently donating the money to build a new science building.  I firmly believe that if Ritchie stayed on as chancellor, the DU Bookstore would not have been outsourced.  But in any case, I am still not bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment