Friday, June 24, 2016

Nostalgia For The Roaring Twenties - Chicago Style



I picked up an advanced reading copy of Deirdre Bair's new book, Capone, in which she interviews members of the Capone family, still living in Chicago, and evidently paints a kinder, gentler image of Al Capone. Capone was the king of organized crime in Chicago back in the Roaring Twenties, and the reason I was so intrigued by the book is because I have so many photographs of my family from that time, like the one above.  It show, from left to right, my Uncle Jack Spillard, my Grandmother Louise Spillard, and my Uncle Bill Spillard, proudly standing in front of what I assume was a new car.  I'm pretty sure none of them met Al Capone, but it is just as well, no matter how nice he was to his family.  What a fun era, though, and what fun to look at the old photo albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment