Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Magic Of Minor League Baseball



Back when Denver had the AAA Denver Bears instead of the Colorado Rockies, I never appreciated being able to drive up to the stadium gates 10 minutes before game time, buy a ticket, and sit right down front, not even missing the first pitch.  This is why I always try to attend at least one Jupiter Hammerheads or Palm Beach Cardinals baseball game when I am down here in Stuart, Florida.  Last night I saw the Palm Beach Cardinals lose to the Dunedin Blue Jays (Dunedin is tough this year) and had a great time.  I bought a ticket for $7 and was told I could sit anywhere, and so I sat in the first row right behind the Cardinals dugout.




The best thing about minor league baseball is the atmosphere - very laid back and fun.  Lots of families with lots of kids, and a different type of contest or promotion every half inning. Sometimes you might even run into a giant juggler, like the guy in the photograph on the right.  Although it didn't seem that crowded, over 5,000 people attended the game last night, and so minor league baseball is still very popular.  There was a fireworks display after the game, and they didn't even quadruple the ticket prices for it, unlike the Colorado Rockies.  What could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment