Sunday, December 11, 2016

A DAM Fine Time

After working a morning shift on the sales floor at the bookstore where I work on East Colfax here in Denver, I headed over to the the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) to spend a few hours of "quiet time."  Three people called in sick to the bookstore Saturday morning, and so it was quite an exciting time.  I was forced to answer the phone quite a bit, and those phone calls can get hairy.  I spend a great deal of time talking to a woman in Casper, Wyoming, who wanted to purchase a zillion children's books (not my specialty by any means), order a bunch of others, and have them shipped to Wyoming as they arrived.  After collecting what I could in the hell they call the children's section, I was able to successfully pass off the more complex details to others.  Better to be old and crafty than young and capable, I say.  In any case, after dining well at a local bistro called Taco Bell, I snagged a free two hour parking spot and walked to the museum.  The museum, and several others, by the way, are located in the "Golden Triangle" neighborhood, now exploding with high rise condos and apartments and one of Denver's priciest.

I had visited the museum a few weeks earlier, and so most of the exhibits hadn't changed, but that was okay.  I revisited the Glory of Venice: Masterworks of the Renaissance" and enjoyed it just as much as last time. And I need to state that the last time I was here, I took a photograph of a room-sized depiction of a Venice locale, photo-shopped  the figures from a Titian masterpiece onto it, and remarked that the background was of a Venetian piazza.  As I looked at the scene again yesterday, I saw that the floor of the museum was shiny and painted to make it look like water, and so the buildings were actually supposed to front a Venetian canal. In any case, as far as I am concerned, the photo I produced (as seen on my Tuesday, November 29th post) was far better than anything Titian ever produced.  Does that sound like an ego problem?  Nah.  I don't think so either.  In any case, I also went up to the 4th floor of the Contemporary wing to see if anything was on exhibit there. Last time the entire floor was closed off.  This time, you were allowed to go up there and walk around while the new exhibit - titled Mi Tierra -  was being installed.  It will be an exhibit featuring Hispanic artists from the American West depicting their relationships to the land.  And I must say, it is going to take a long time to install.  The space was mostly bare, except for the fellow working away in the photo on the right, and the exhibit is not scheduled to open until February 19th.  I suspect they will actually be creating the art more than installing it, but that's just me - a cynic till the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment