Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Judgmental Maps


A few weeks ago, while crossing the sales floor of the Denver bookstore where I work as the bookkeeper to get a cup of coffee, I saw a book on display called Judgmental Maps by blogger Trent Gillaspie and had to take a look.  Gillaspie is a native Denverite who for some strange reason now lives in Austin, Texas, and recently gave a talk at the store.  The book is a series of city maps with smart alec remarks about each neighborhood.  I immediately looked up my old South Side neighborhood of Brainerd, which, by the way,  I featured on yesterday's Blog.  It was described as a "Cosby sweater" area, which I assume refers to the middle and upper-middle class, mostly black population that now lives there, which I feel is spot on.  It also had several smart ass references to the large Irish population that lives in the neighboring Beverly neighborhood, where my family also spent a lot of time when we lived back there.  I was immediately hooked, and purchased the book, even though it was a bit of an extravagance.  Each book even had a different, humorous inscription in it, so how could I go wrong?  Just call me a sentimental fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment