Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Where Is The Tree? Where Are The Colorful Lights?



This time of year I find myself trying to get in touch with my inner Grinch.  For example, I heard on the television a few weeks ago that downtown Denver would be lite up with trees and colorful lights starting that weekend, "from Denver's City and County Building to Lower Downtown's Union Station," and decided to head down to Union Station to take a look.  And I must say I was disappointed to see there was no tree and no colorful (to me) lights in sight.  I went back the following weekend and still no tree or colorful lights. What's the deal with that?  Perhaps Union station is not paying it's electric bill.



As a matter of fact, the most colorful lights in the area were coming from a new, trendy espresso shop just down the block (as seen if the photo on the right).  The previous tenant, by the way, was a Russian art gallery.  I used to pass by it pretty often, and for years it featured 2 very large paintings in the window - one of Stalin with Marilyn Monroe (I didn't even know they knew each other, let alone posed for a painting) and of Lenin, standing in front of a Coca Cola sign, holding a bottle of Coke, and titled "The Real Thing."  I guess when you aren't able to sell your two top paintings over a twenty year period, it is definitely time to review your business plan.  Hell, for all I know, it's the same owners, and Lenin is now hanging back in the kitchen.  Perhaps I'll sneak in there one of these days and take a look.  Wish me luck and a low bail to post.  Das vi danya!

No comments:

Post a Comment