Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Bay Bridge Vineyards


I had never heard of Bay Bridge Vineyards until I was checking out at the King Sooper's Grocery Store in Glendale (an independent city completely surrounded by Denver, once known for it's nightlife and these days for it's strip clubs) and saw a display of their products near the checkout stand.  The name was what first attracted my attention - not a rural, pastoral sounding name, but a reference to a bridge connecting two densely packed urban areas (the cities of Oakland and San Francisco, California).  And the next thing that attracted my attention was the price -  it was $2.99 a bottle.  And suddenly I had a vision of a winery  located in an abandoned XXX movie theater on South Market Street in San Francisco, in the Tenderloin District, with homeless people standing in huge vats stomping grapes with their bare feet.  As a matter of fact, the last time I was in San Francisco, I did not see all that many homeless people on the streets.  So that's where they went!  Of course, the last time I was in San Francisco, every inch of the city had been gentrified, and so as far as I know, there no longer is a Tenderloin District, and my vision was in fact just the product of a wild and very scary imagination.  And so what else is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment