Monday, December 26, 2016

Happy Boxing Day!


Today is Boxing Day, the day people in the UK and the Commonwealth countries, not to mention Ireland, traditionally give a day off to their servants, since their services were required on Christmas Day.  These employer's usually give them a box filled with gifts, bonuses, and leftover food to take along with them, hence the name Boxing Day. Today is also the feast day of St. Stephen, the patron saint of horses, and so the day is also associated with horse racing and foxhunting.  I just wish I could be at my country estate in England today to hand out gifts to my servants before heading out for the fox hunt, but we can't have everything, after all.  Instead, I am featuring a photograph of my friend Stuart, who I had over yesterday for Christmas dinner. I usually celebrate with my sister and brother-in-law up in Fort Collins, but they had to cancel Christmas at the last minute, possibly due to a schedule conflict with the Denver Broncos football game.  Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment